Trading in a Time of Covid



Trigger alert : Blatant virtue signalling. Only fair to warn you.

The other day I sensibly realised I needed some milk and bread. I had a fiver left on a Tesco e-voucher sent to me by my brother and thought I'd walk up to Tesco in Hackney, brave the queue and buy some. Then my calm, inner self took control of the situation and said 'Fuckit mate - I'm going nuts from lack of stimulus. You need important stuff! Beer! And chocolate!' And just like that, my mission was clear.

I hiked the half mile or so up into Hackney from Hackney Marshes by the river and duly queued in Tesco's car park. I didn't have long to wait as the queue was fairly short. Once inside, Covid avoidance measures are essential. Everyone keeps the allotted two metres outside, but inside things are a bit more cavalier and special tactics are required. 

Years ago, like most people in the 70's I had a love affair with Kung Fu - when I wasn't at ballet class - and even now, over thirty years later, the odd gem of knowledge resurfaces in times of need (my Chinese teacher once said that 'Running away is Kung Fu - if it works, use it). I like to think I have created my own move, albeit modest, I call it 'not being there' and it has served me well. But in Tesco the style that works best is 'Drunken Monkey' an aptly named, rolling, acrobatic, inebriated careering between shoppers and shelves while magically avoiding actual contact. Fist and palm strikes are replaced by rapid manic snatches at the required goods.

Thanks to 'Drunken Monkey' I achieved my goal quickly. Spitfire ale was on offer at 1.25 a bottle, so I got two. I found my favourite Bahlsen Choco Liebnitz biscuits at 1.49 and had a pound left; I 'maxed out' with a packet of Cadbury Chocolate Fingers at 1.00! Score! I left feeling pleased and looking forward to the intellectual stimulus of swigging beer and munching chocolatey crumbs.

A short way down the fairly deserted street I approached a bus stop. The space between the bus stop and the wall was narrow and someone was sitting in the shelter, so I cut around on the road side to avoid them. As I passed a voice called after me 'Excuse me, can you spare some change?' It turned out to be young woman, who immediately struck me as quite distressed.

I explained that I had only come out with a voucher and had no cash at all. She apologised for troubling me, and I apologised for not being able to help - then, on impulse I offered her the chocolate fingers, at which she was almost ecstatic. There have been times in my life, as with many creatives, when I have starved and endured hard conditions. I still remember the boost you can get from chocolate and a beer when your resources are low. So I offered her a beer too, which met with equal appreciation and delight. We said goodbye and I headed back home.

Later I was thinking about the exchange and what passed between us and what stood out for me was not what I'd given, but what I'd received. It occurred to me that the young woman, while grateful for what was given to her, probably was unaware that the exchange had been two-way; it wasn't charity - an equal exchange had taken place. She got biscuits and beer. I got her thanks, her friendliness, her innate politeness and her respect. I wish I could tell her.

Popular posts from this blog

Boats, Home and the 'In-Between'

Invisible Soup

Jenny - Character Study (17 Apr 2020)